There is something about baking first thing in the morning - pancakes are always a firm favourite but these little 'Financier' cakes make the day seem luxurious from the start, and let's face it, who doesn't want to eat cake for breakfast?!
Taken from The Simple Things magazine, these delicious little buns are made with hazelnuts, amaranth flour, vanilla bean, lemon zest and Asian pears.
140g unsalted butter; 100g natural cane sugar; 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest; 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped; 4 medium egg whites; 60g ground hazelnuts; 65g amaranth flour (or plain flour); 1/2 tsp salt; small Asian pear, peeled, cored and diced; 1tsp lemon juice.
1. Preheat your oven to 180/350 degrees. Grease or line individual muffin tins.
2. In small pan, heat butter until it starts to brown then pour into a bowl to cool.
3. Mix sugar, zest and vanilla seeds. Rub the ingredients together until you can smell the lemon oil. Stir in the butter and then add the egg whites, beating until slightly frothy.
4. Add the hazelnuts, flour and salt. Whisk to combine and then scoop the batter into the molds about 3/4 full. Toss the pears in lemon juice and press them into the batter.
5. Bake for 25/30 minutes. Let them cool before turning out.
Image Source: Kate Spade