Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Festive Fare

Good enough to eat!
In the lead up to Christmas I start thinking a lot about food - what we're going to eat on THE day; the day after, the day before as well as the days where I'm sick of eating and drinking.  This year I'm going to try very hard not to overdo the food thing - I either end up buying food I don't cook or eat and spend a small fortune, or I eat it all and end up feeling bloated and unhealthy. So THE PLAN this year is to buy just what I need and buy healthy stuff along with the just plain delicious and tempting. These are some of the foods I'm thinking of...
I know it's not in season, but it's a staple canape - wrap bundles in
parma ham, drizzle with olive oil and roast for ten minutes.  Serve with shaves of parmesan

Blanch your broad beans, and slip the bright green kernals from their papery shells;
toss with feta, pomegranate and mint for a refreshing salad

Blueberries are nature's best anti-oxidant - make into smoothies,
sprinkle onto porridge or stir into muffin mixture and bake.

Salted Caramel sauce - my favourite - see 'What I'm Eating' for recipe

Ice-cream to go with the sauce...

and of course Christmas wouldn't be the same without Chestnuts. 
I love them hot from a street brazier and pureed they make
a delicious cream accompaniament.
(See right for recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment