Tuesday, January 24, 2012

River of Small Stones

We are constantly being exhorted, reminded and chivied into living 'in the moment'.  Eckhart Tolle in The Power of Now (which I did actually find quite hard going - albeit good stuff) tells us that nothing exists outside this present moment.  It made me wonder how much time I actually spent experiencing the here and now and I set myself a little experiment.  Over just one hour I wrote down everytime I became aware of drifting away from what I was doing/thinking at the present moment.  So, for example, when I was meant to be writing a lesson plan and instead of thinking about the children and their academic needs, my brain wandered to what I needed to buy for dinner that evening; or when I went for my swim, instead of focusing on how my body was feeling as I swam I was already planning ahead to the weekend - and I realised that I was actually missing out on life as it happened.  This book did actually have quite an impact on how I try to experience things in the here and now and I'm sure it's been mostly a positive impact.  So, when I came across this wonderful site Writing Our Way Home I immediately linked in with something called 'The River' and 'Small Stones'. 'Small Stones' are present moments captured in words; they are the feelings that bubble up as you watch the sunrise; the smell of freshly baked bread; the sound of a brook as it laughs it's way over the pebbles.  Small stones are exactly that - words that precisely capture a moment.  I'm really excited to be starting my own 'Small Stones' anthology and will share them with you from time to time.  A reminder to us all to find the joy in the small stuff around us..

To find your own small stones:

1. Keep your eyes, nose, mouth, fingers, ears and your mind open.
2. Notice something.
3. Write it down.

That's it. Extremely simple, and extraordinarily powerful. Try it and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment