Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Summer Salad

There's nothing like a bit of sunshine to bring on the healthy eating vibe.  Somehow you don't want the stodge and begin to crave lighter, brighter foods that look as good as they are to eat.  I'm currently on a major healthy eating drive, fuelled by an imminent holiday to the South of France where I want to look and feel my best.  With this in mind I recently bought the Lean and Clean Cookbook by James Duigan.  His philosophy doesn't encompase faddy eating but keeping your diet 'clean' ie as it is in nature, and 'lean' the look you get after following it. He is famous for keeping the curves of Elle McPherson feminine but lean.  I have to say that his take on eating makes sense to me so I splashed out on the cookbook which doesn't disappoint.  The following recipe isn't in the book, I adapted it from the 'rules' of the lean and clean philosophy, but it was delicious; healthy, nutritious, filling and looked good too.

You will need:
1 large butternut squash
250g of shelled baby broad beans
200g of petit pois
feta cheese
toasted pumpkin seeds
edible flowers to garnish (I used viola's and naturtiums)

1.First of all cut your squash into wedges, drizzle with olive oil, cumin seeds and chilli flakes and put into a hot oven for about half-an-hour, or until tender and slightly charred on the edges. 
2. In the meantime cook your beans and then plunge into cold water to revitalise them.  Leave to cool before podding the bright green kernals from their leathery shells. 

3. Do the same with the peas, except of course, you don't need to shell them!
4. When the butternut squash is done, cut into bite-size chunks and mix with the beans.  Toss with dressing of your choice (I used white balsamic and lemon olive oil). 
5.Add your toasted pumpkin seeds and feta and finally scatter over your edible flower heads.

I promise you'll feel so virtuous after making this, and it looks almost too good to eat! 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment