Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday season

It's been a few days since I posted - guess we're all in the same boat here as it's just been so busy over the festive season - I hope everyone had a wonderful few days and managed to relax and enjoy time with family and friends in amongst all the madness?!  I have now escaped up north to Northumberland and am happily ensconsed in my sister's beautiful renovated priory farmhouse. The Priory was built for an Augstinian Cannoness and the Priory Nuns looked after the 'Lady Well' just up the fell.  St Paulinus (it is said!) baptised many hundreds of pagen celts in its tranquil waters; it does have a very peaceful feel to it - you can almost feel St Paulinus watching, it has a very definite spiritual atmosphere.    The view from the farmhouse window is just about as far from my view in London as it could get - here I look out onto fell and river, sheep and cattle.  We have just got back from a wild, wild walk over the fells, completely exhilarating and makes coming back to our log fire even more welcoming.  I feel as if I can finally sigh with relief and give up all my London cares and worries to the cleansing northern winds and relax into recharging my batteries ... I hope wherever you are, whatever you're doing, you are also winding down and having some 'me' time.
The meandering stream south

and north...

Lady's Well - Holystone Northumberland

Figure of St Paulinus

Beautiful lichen in the woods

and more of the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment