Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The art of letter writing - Wednesday Words

...is pretty much dead no?  When did you last receive a proper letter? By proper I mean one that was written by a friend or family, telling you their news, asking about yours.  When did you last send a letter or a card just because you could?  I expect, like me, it was sometime ago.  But isn't there something just lovely and touching about receiving a hand-written letter? There's an intimacy present because someone has taken the time and effort to think of you and put their thoughts on paper. Phone calls are a great way to stay in touch and in this rapidly developing world of social media we have facebook, twitter and numerous other on-line communication channels, but still nothing beats a good old letter, wouldn't you say?  A letter can be read, re-read, poured over, treasured, stored in your bag, carried with you, wrapped in ribbon and placed in a special box. 

 
If like me, you love collecting stationary, then letter-writing becomes even more pleasurable.  My problem however, is that I hoard those pretty cards and gorgeous papers.  I can't seem to let go!  One of my resolutions this summer (see last year's list)  was to clear out my desk and organise the notelets, cards and papers and USE them.  I have a lovely collection of pens too, so I guess it's time to put them all to use...I even have some stamps ready to go...
 
Here are some little tips to help you on your way...
* vintage tips to letter writing
 
*the lost art of letter writing
 
*Debrett's guide to writing letters
 
and finally this video...
 
 
 
Who did you last write a letter to?  I'd love to hear...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment